Sunday, October 14, 2007

pass

“There is no return way in medicine because the patient might die due to your inobservance. 99% is an excellent result for other courses, but in medicine, patient might die because of the 1% of knowledge that is not equipped by you as his doctor.”
This is a phrase that I saw on a forum posted by a medical student yesterday night. It impacts me a lot. Although I knew that medicine is not a subject that can be satisfied with just a pass, but as time goes on, I tend to forget how serious it could be for me as a doctor-to-be who is going to treat patients with various diseases.
D (which is the lowest grade for pass) is the lowest limit given to me by myself for every formative assessment and exam. However, I never thought that what would happen to my patient if I am just a D grade doctor. The patient might lose their life or might have a lot of complications and it is all because I as their doctor do not have the knowledge which is needed to save them.
Just like what my lecturer said: “There is nothing which is not important in pathology.” Maybe we can also say that: “There is nothing which is not important in medicine.” I don’t think it is correct for us to study more on this disease and leave that disease aside; it is because every minor thing is very important to patient, they might die because of the thing that you thought it is not important.


I don’t want to be a D grade doctor. Never.

No comments: